Complaints and Appeals


Unity Housing wants to make sure all tenants and applicants have access to our services. If you are not happy with our service, standards, practices or policies, you have the right to complain. There may be times when things do not go according to plan. If something does go wrong, we would like you to tell us so we can try to fix the issue. We may not know there is a problem unless you tell us.

We take all complaints seriously and investigate them fairly and reasonably.

For more information, please read our brochure It’s OK to Complain. To make a complaint, you can complete the form located in the brochure, download this form (which can be filled in online), complete the form below, or email us at

    Which Unity Housing service are you commenting on? (required)
    Boarding HouseHousingMaintenanceOther

    What is the main issue you are complaining about?
    Boarding HouseHousing sustainabilityStandard of housingStaff conductNeighbour issuesService qualityOther


    We make decisions based on policies and procedures that aim to be fair to everyone. These policies and procedures are there to make sure we provide standards of service that apply for community housing and to comply with the law.

    You may not always agree with a decision we make. If you do not agree, it is important that you tell us why and ask us to review our decision.

    It is also your right as a tenant to appeal a decision externally through the SA Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT).

    For more information, please read our online brochure Appeal a Decision.

    To lodge an appeal, complete the form below or fill out the form in our Appeal a Decision brochure.

      The decision I want to appeal (required): Please say what service you requested and what you understand our decision to be
      Housing eligibilityModification to a propertyPermission to keep a petNon-renewal of leaseRentTransferNeighbour disputeother

      I have already asked to discuss this with Unity Housing staff (required):

      Complaints about neighbours

      All tenants have the right to the quiet enjoyment of their property and to live peacefully with their neighbours.

      Tenants also must follow the conditions of their tenancy agreement, including being responsible for their own behaviour as well as the behaviour of other people living in the house and visitors to their property.

      Many of Unity Housing’s properties are close together and, like all communities, there will be a range of people with different lifestyles. If you are having a problem with your neighbours, it is always a good idea to talk to them about the problem first – they might be unaware that they are upsetting you.

      Most problems can be avoided if you follow these tips:

      • Try not to disturb your neighbour by making too much noise. Many neighbourhood issues come from things like having music playing loudly, dogs continually barking or loud arguments.
        • Keep TVs and music noise to a reasonable level, especially when windows or doors are left open, or late at night.
        • Place TVs and sound systems away from shared walls and avoid direct contact with the floor by placing equipment on a table or shelf. rather than on the floor.
        • Let neighbours know if you are having a party.
      • If you are a parent, make sure you and your children think about how your children’s playing habits might affect your neighbours. Ask your children not to play in other people’s gardens or play ball against people’s walls.
      • Be tolerant of your neighbours’ children playing outside in their yard or in common areas if you live in a block of units. It can make things easier if you avoid complaining about kids unless they are being very noisy at an unreasonable time.
      • Accept that your neighbours may have opinions and ways of doing things that are different from you – try to be understanding of these differences.
      • Be willing to listen and talk to your neighbour to try to settle any problems quickly.

      If you feel a person living in or visiting a Unity Housing property is interfering with your peace or privacy, there are a number of things you can do:

      • Contact police or relevant authority i.e. local council
      • Keep an incident diary with dates, times and details of what has been happening
      • Call or email Unity Housing to report the things disturbing you and provide copies of your incident diary and police report number(s)

      If you would like more information, please read our Dealing with Neighbour Issues Information Guide here.