Boarding Houses

Our boarding houses provide an entry point for highly vulnerable people into low-cost, safe and secure accommodation, mainly those who are marginalised due to a range of factors including family breakdown, financial management issues, domestic violence, drug and alcohol misuse, low income and social isolation.

Our four boarding houses range from room-only with shared facilities through to self-contained units with kitchenettes and an ensuite bathroom. They are generally a transitional housing option enabling people to build their capacity and move into more stable and independent accommodation options within the community.

Boarding houses provide an opportunity to build confidence and a sense of wellbeing, participate in community life and further develop independent living skills.

Unity has four boarding houses located in the inner city of Adelaide:

  • The Terrace is a mixed gender site with 95 rooms (Staffed 24/7)
  • Citi Hall is a male-only site with six rooms
  • Gilles Lodge is a female-only site with 11 rooms
  • Hurtle Square is a female-only site with five rooms

Living in a high-density setting requires specific skills and a period of adjustment. Unity works closely with our referral partners to ensure support is available to help people attain social and independent living skills to support them to live in a place of their own. Boarding house tenants can access both in-house and community based support and assistance including financial counselling, legal assistance, recreation and leisure activities, cooking and nutrition and health management.

To read our Guidelines for Living in Unity Boarding House Accommodation please click here.

To view our brochure Unity’s BoardingHouses click here.

Am I eligible for a boarding house?

Our boarding houses do not provide emergency and crisis accommodation or case management services.

To be eligible you must:

  • Be 18 years of age or over
  • A low income earner (proof of income required)
  • Have the capacity to live independently (and be linked with supports)
  • Not suffer severe medical conditions that would require home level aged care or ongoing nursing services
  • Not have serious behavioural or drug and alcohol issues
  • Not have children who would be living with you
  • Not have pets

How to apply for a boarding house

Unity does not take self-referrals from the public. To apply for boarding house accommodation you will need to be referred by a support agency or homelessness support service with which you are a client. They will assist you to complete the application form and submit it to Unity on your behalf. If eligible, you will be required to attend an interview to assess your application prior to being placed on our waiting list. Your support worker may be required to attend the interview with you.

You can download the application form here or contact a support agency or homelessness support service and become a client of that agency.

It is important that you keep your contact details up to date so we can get in touch with you if a suitable property becomes available. Housing is in limited supply, so please ensure you keep exploring all housing options.

What happens next?

If approved, your application will be placed on the waiting list. You will be considered and contacted if a suitable vacancy becomes available. Remember to let us know if your contact details change.