Boarding Houses

To read our Guidelines for Living in Unity Boarding House Accommodation, click here.

Paying your rent

Tenants pay rent on a regular basis and need to pay rent on time as part of their tenancy agreement.

Boarding house tenants need to pay one week’s rent before moving into a boarding house and must keep their rent paid at least one week in front at all times.

Unity Housing offers several ways for boarding house tenants to pay rent. These include Centrepay, eftpos, bank deposit and online transfer.

A bond of two weeks’ rent also needs to be paid before moving into a boarding house. The bond will be refunded in full if the room is left clean and tidy with no damage, keys/swipe cards are returned, and the rent has been paid up to date.

Rent reviews

Rent is increased every six months.

Rent debt

Unity Housing tries to help tenants not get into rent debt by talking to tenants as soon as rent is late. Sometimes we need to also issue tenants with a late rent notice if rent is still not paid.

If rent becomes two weeks late, a notice of termination will be issued and, if rent is still not paid after another two days, we will ask for a tribunal hearing for eviction through the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT).


Unity Housing understands that tenants’ housing needs may change, and we will try to help wherever possible. This includes the possibility of transferring tenants to different rooms.

To apply for a transfer, the tenant must have been a tenant for at least six months, have a good rental history with Unity Housing, have kept their room in good condition, and be living peacefully with neighbours.

Applications for transfer will be reviewed by the managers on a case-by-case basis. Documents, such as a letter from a doctor or support worker may also be required.

Appealing a decision

If you believe Unity Housing has made a wrong decision, you can ask for a review of the decision. Visit the Complaints and Appeals page here.

Maintenance and repairs

Boarding house tenants need to report maintenance issues to Unity Housing staff as soon as possible. Issues can be reported verbally, by email or by completing the maintenance form which is available to download here.

All maintenance must be approved and most is managed by Housing SA.

Wherever possible, tenants will be told when maintenance work will be done and are asked to help by providing access to their room. Sometimes we won’t know when the contractor will arrive and won’t be able to let you know, but staff will still need to access your room so the contractors can carry out the maintenance.

Please email completed maintenance request forms to